Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Mingus Ah Um



When I think of the greatest jazz albums of all time I always have to think of Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. Mingus is my favorite bassist of all time--at least today. Ron Carter and Ray Brown are up there too. Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is a feast unlike any other jazz album. The moods swing from euphoria to despair and all points in between with bluesy beats, flamenco guitar, and heaps of soul. The album doesn't let up and the listener is transported to another place entirely. It's relentless, brilliant, and after repeated listenings just gets better with age.

2 comments:

Steve Halle said...

I love Mingus but have never had the pleasure of listening to the Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. Have you ever head the Town Hall Concert? I would have to say it's my favorite Mingus CD (and Dolphy is on board as well, stealing the show with a heartbreaking flute solo on "Meditations (Praying with Eric)."

Larry Sawyer said...

I can't remember if I've heard that one before. I'll pick it up.

My favorites, besides Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, are Mingus!, Jazz at Massey Hall (best lineup of all time with Dizzy, Bird, Mingus, Bud Powell & Max Roach on drums), Mingus Ah Um, and Money Jungle. The box set Thirteen Pictures is worth picking up, too. It has the classic Wig Wise on it--Mingus playing with Duke. It's such a great song--edgy, not usual Duke Ellington but Mingus is his usual funky self.